Video mode not supported for LCD monitor

Malcolm Fitzgerald mfitzgerald at pacific.net.au
Sun May 21 19:42:48 PDT 2006

On 22/05/2006, at 10:46 AM, rod person wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:36:17 +1000
> Malcolm Fitzgerald <mfitzgerald at pacific.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I've just replaced my trusty CRT screen with a spunky LCD screen.
>> After the machine boots I don't see the login window. Instead I see a
>> bouncing box that says "Video Mode not Supported". How do I rectify
>> this?
>>

> You have to correct your vertical refresh in your xorg.conf.
> I had to add the line:
> 	VertRefresh   75
>
> to the monitor section when I went from CRT to LCD.

That didn't work for me.

When I use -configure to generate a conf file the Monitor specs seem to
fit my monitor but the monitor won't use it.

Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see that it tries all the modes
and says this for each of them:

(II) NV(0): Mode "1024x768" is larger than BIOS programmed panel size
of 1 x 1. Removing.
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (unknown reason)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "512X384" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Funnily enough, when I passed Xorg -config a non-existent config file
name (by accident) it displayed the black and grey grid with the X in
the middle.

malcolm