A really really weird problem with FreeBSD 6..

Hugo Silva hugo at barafranca.com
Sun May 21 09:43:16 PDT 2006

Hugo Silva wrote:
> jekillen wrote:
>>
>> On May 19, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Hugo Silva wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I've been using FreeBSD on the desktop for several years now without
>>> any major problems. However, as of lately, I've been running into a
>>> very annoying problem. I'll try to explain:
>>>
>>> I play some OpenGL games on FreeBSD and have always played them
>>> without trouble. However, now I can't play my game of election
>>> (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) for more than 20 or 30 minutes. The
>>> same thing is happening over and over (and this is the weird part):
>>>
>>> The game will stop responding to most keys, and the ones that do
>>> respond, output rubbish characters. The mouse dies. I can
>>> CTRL-ALT-F1, login, and kill the game - the keyboard works on the
>>> console!
>>>
>>> Then I get back to KDE (CTRL-ALT-F2). The keyboard is useless at
>>> this point, as typing something will result in something else. The
>>> mouse moves, but I can't maximise windows (seems to ignore double
>>> click) and stuff. CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and logging in again solves the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Now, the only thing that I've changed in the last month was a new
>>> piece of hardware - a Logitech G5 mouse (connected via USB). After
>>> giving it some thought,  this problem started a few days after I
>>> purchased the mouse. I can't see how this could be related to what
>>> is happening with me, but it's the only thing I remind changing.
>>>
>>> I was running 6.0-RELEASE-p5, and have upgraded to 6.1-RELEASE and
>>> xorg-6.9.0, kde-3.5.1, in the hopes that it would probably fix this.
>>> Unfortunately, the situation remains.
>>>
>>> Has anyone experienced a similar problem at all ? I didn't even try
>>> google as I have no idea of what I'm after..
>>
>> Sounds like some kind of buffer overrun problem, some memory
>> allocation problem in the driver(?)
>> JK
>
> I thought about something like this too, but what I can't explain is
> why it only started happening when I got the new mouse (and most
> likely after the "usb0: host controller process error" error, altough
> I can't say for sure - and if this was the cause, howcome it persists
> across reboots? I never got the error anymore (ok.. maybe 1 time).).
>
> There isn't a special driver for this mouse, and the previous one was
> also detected as ums0 (a Logitech MX 700). I am 100% sure that I
> didn't touch any configuration at all, anywhere, when this started to
> happen.
>
> Thoughts, ideas, maybe someone who's been through the same, altough I
> find it highly unlikely ?
>

>>> Some random info:
>>> nvidia0: <GeForce 7800 GT> port 0xe800-0xe87f mem
>>> 0xcf000000-0xcfffffff,0xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xce000000-0xceffffff
>>> irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci4
>>>
>>> ums0: Logitech USB Gaming Mouse, rev 2.00/46.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
>>> uhid0: Logitech USB Gaming Mouse, rev 2.00/46.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1

> [...]
Hi list,

I've conducted a few more tests today, and this problem is also
happening to me on other OpenGL games. I've only managed to cause the
issue described above while playing 3D games (altough it's probably
because I move the mouse a lot while gaming).

I've ruled out any bug in Enemy Territory causing this (a new server
patch was issued some weeks ago), as I've successfully encountered the
problem on other games too.

Altough I can't say for sure yet, this doesn't *seem* to happen if I
lower my mouse DPI to 800 (I use 2000). Since the keyboard starts
outputting rubbish (probably a overflow somewhere, as someone
suggested), coupled with the fact that this doesn't seem to happen @ 800
DPIs, it probably points to a problem on the usb mouse driver, while
handling a large amount of data ?

My next test is running the game off an xterm (without KDE loaded), to
rule out any possible interference. More news soon..