6.1 CD is Hanging on Install

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat May 20 05:21:18 PDT 2006

Justin wrote:

> I'm trying to venture into the world of BSD.  Thus, I have just
> recently joined the mailing list and this is my first message.  I have
> tried to research my question and found a similar problem, but I was
> unable to find any type of solution.
>
> Here's What's Happening:
>
> After I boot my laptop to the installer CD and select what I'd like to
> boot (I've tried the default, no acpi, and safe mode with the same
> results), the installer seems to lock up the computer after the
> following two lines:
>
>  Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1600070929 Hz quality 800
>  Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
>
> At this point the computer responds to nothing but holding down the
> power button, which obviously kills the power.  Just in case it was
> trying to work something out (after all, the "thinking" light was on),
> I let my laptop sit for almost four hours with still no change.

Offhand, I'd still suspect ACPI/APM.  The next step after "Timecounter"
is usually the "ACPI Timecounter" and then "ACPI CPU0".

Other than trying:  a] another CD of 6.1 (maybe bad burn?) or
b] another version of FreeBSD, I wouldn't know what to suggest.

> I have used Debian and Fedora on this computer previously with no
> problems (and obviously Windows works also).
>
> Since there are really no other options as far as booting goes, I
> really don't know what I've done wrong or what I can do.

Well, there might be a few remaining things to try.  See

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/article.html
  http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd-6.0-rc1.php

   (and Google, where I found those), for more information about
APM/ACPI problems.

Dan (Freebsddiary) shows himself hitting "any other key for command
prompt" during stage 2 boot, then issuing:

    unset acpi_load
    boot -v

Seems like the "verbose" boot might be worth looking at; perhaps
you could get a better idea just exactly what is up with the boot
process.

> Just is case it helps, here is some information about my system:
> Compaq Presario M2105US
>  AMD Mobile Sempron processor
>  1GB RAM4
>  ATI Express 200M graphics card w/ shared memory
>
> Also, I've tried to use the 2CD set and Boot Only CD for the i386.

Hmm, then maybe the "try a different CD" won't work.  Sorry
I've got no more thoughts ATM.  Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey

--
Calvin Coolidge looks as if he had been weaned on a pickle.
		-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth