A really really weird problem with FreeBSD 6..

Hugo Silva hugo at barafranca.com
Fri May 19 10:00:07 PDT 2006

Hi list,

I've been using FreeBSD on the desktop for several years now without any
major problems. However, as of lately, I've been running into a very
annoying problem. I'll try to explain:

I play some OpenGL games on FreeBSD and have always played them without
trouble. However, now I can't play my game of election (Wolfenstein:
Enemy Territory) for more than 20 or 30 minutes. The same thing is
happening over and over (and this is the weird part):

The game will stop responding to most keys, and the ones that do
respond, output rubbish characters. The mouse dies. I can CTRL-ALT-F1,
login, and kill the game - the keyboard works on the console!

Then I get back to KDE (CTRL-ALT-F2). The keyboard is useless at this
point, as typing something will result in something else. The mouse
moves, but I can't maximise windows (seems to ignore double click) and
stuff. CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and logging in again solves the problem.

Now, the only thing that I've changed in the last month was a new piece
of hardware - a Logitech G5 mouse (connected via USB). After giving it
some thought,  this problem started a few days after I purchased the
mouse. I can't see how this could be related to what is happening with
me, but it's the only thing I remind changing.

I was running 6.0-RELEASE-p5, and have upgraded to 6.1-RELEASE and
xorg-6.9.0, kde-3.5.1, in the hopes that it would probably fix this.
Unfortunately, the situation remains.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem at all ? I didn't even try
google as I have no idea of what I'm after..

Some random info:
nvidia0: <GeForce 7800 GT> port 0xe800-0xe87f mem
0xcf000000-0xcfffffff,0xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xce000000-0xceffffff irq 16
at device 0.0 on pci4

ums0: Logitech USB Gaming Mouse, rev 2.00/46.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
uhid0: Logitech USB Gaming Mouse, rev 2.00/46.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1

--> I cannot remember exactly if this problem only occured after this:
usb0: host controller process error
(happened a few weeks ago for the first time)
^^ My mouse died during a gaming session, and after some investigation,
I found that error message. Restarting the computer was the only way I
found to get USB support functional again. I'm not sure, but it could
have started happening ONLY after I experienced this error for the first
time.

That's all, I guess. Let me know if you have some clues..