Keyspan USB2Serial

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.freebsd-questions at lixfeld.ca
Fri May 19 09:50:14 PDT 2006

On 19-May-06, at 8:58 AM, David Robillard wrote:

>> On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:09:50 -0400
>> Jason Lixfeld <jason+lists.freebsd-questions at lixfeld.ca> wrote:
>> Do you have ucom device in your kernel?
>>
>> Yup:
>>
>> # egrep "ugen|ucom" /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/RICKY
>> device          ugen            # Generic
>> device          ucom
>> #
>>
>> after you plug it in,  have you got any /dev/cua* ?
>>
>> Only:
>>
>> # ls -al /dev/cuad0
>> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  40 May 18 22:04 /dev/cuad0
>> #
>>
>> But it is there regardless as to whether or not the adapter is
>> plugged in.
>
> Hi Jason,
>
> Be careful, because the first adapter I received was actually faulty.
> The light would go on and the device would show up in my USB device
> tree. But it would not work. After a few talks with Keyspan's support,
> they had to send me a new one for it to work. The whole process was
> free of charge.
>
> I would suggest you try the adapter on a MacOS X or Windows machine
> along with the software that shipped with it just to make sure it
> behaves as intended. Assuming you do have a Mac or a Win machine handy
> of course.

I've had this adapter for years and it works fine in Mac OS X.  I
just tested it in another identical machine running Gentoo with a 2.6
kernel and it works fine there too.

I can freely move it between Mac OS X and Linux without issue, but as
soon as I move it back to FreeBSD, it goes dead again.

It's not the USB ports because I can connect a USB keyboard and/or
mouse into any of the other USB ports on that machine and they work
fine.