Find the Date a Port Was Installed

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed May 17 19:51:53 PDT 2006

In the last episode (May 18), Greg 'groggy' Lehey said:
> On Wednesday, 17 May 2006 at 17:40:24 -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (May 17), Jeff Cross said:
> >> I have recently upgraded to RELENG_6_1 and have attempted a
> >> portupgrade on all ports since the upgrade so that new libs, etc.
> >> are being used with the installed ports.  When it *finally*
> >> finished I saw that 9 ports were not upgraded due to various
> >> reasons but because I did this from the command line I couldn't
> >> scroll up to see what 9 ports failed.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to determine which ports weren't upgraded so I can
> >> deal with them manually or is it possible to show the install date
> >> for all ports?  If I can pull the install date for all of them I
> >> can see which ones are older than today and deal with them
> >> individually. I looked at the man page for pkg_info to see if
> >> there was anything I could do there to list the installed ports
> >> along with an installation date but I didn't see anything.
> >
> > I use "cd /var/db/pkg ; ls -l */+COMMENT".  Add a -t to sort by date.
>
> I find that "ls -lrt /var/db/pkg" is even more useful: it shows the
> packages in order of installation, so you can see which dependencies
> were installed as well.

The problem is if you use portupgrade, it will update the dependencies
inside +CONTENTS and +REQUIRED_BY, so ports that may have been
installed long ago will have their directory timestamps updated:

/var/db/pkg> ls -l pkgconfig-0.20_2
total 41
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel     60 May  2 09:54 +COMMENT
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel    539 May  2 09:54 +CONTENTS
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel    771 May  2 09:54 +DESC
-r--r--r--    1 root  wheel  15248 May  2 09:54 +MTREE_DIRS
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   4072 May 17 15:22 +REQUIRED_BY
drwxr-xr-x    2 root  wheel    512 May 17 15:21 ./
drwxr-xr-x  692 root  wheel  18432 May 17 15:21 ../

It depends on what date you're interested in, I guess.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com