[freebsd-questions] Questions about monitoring Dell servers

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Wed May 17 09:05:21 PDT 2006

Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Well, I managed to sort it out.  The grey area was that the Dell BMC
> just needed an IP, username and password configured on it.  I was
> under the mistaken impression that the OpenIPMI needed to be installed
> to speak the BMC, but ipmitools does that just fine.  Between the BMC
> and megarc for the raid status, I have everything I need!  Well, with
> the exception of SNMP traps -- still haven't figured out how to set
> the trap host and community, but if worst comes to worst, I can use
> used net-snmp and use the exec options in snmpd.conf.

Where does this IP address present itself? On an SC1425 we have here, I
can set an IP etc in the BMC BIOS, but it lists a MAC address there that
isn't the same as either of the GigE interfaces on the mobo.

Is it overlaid in some strange way, or do I need some sort of
daughterboard? I'd like to get this going for all our Dells if I can.

Cheers,

Howie