gmirror and partitioning

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at bristolsystems.com
Wed May 17 09:00:21 PDT 2006

Hi Laszlo,

No bugs; I think this is normal.  Both the BIOS and the OS are only
going to see the blocks the hard drive thinks are useable.  Even though
the drive geometry is "fictitious", most people still recommend defining
your slices to begin and end on cylinder boundaries.  I assume this
makes accessing blocks in the slice a few nanoseconds faster, but I'm
actually not sure.  Perhaps someone on the list knows more detail.  In
any case, if you do this for as10s1 gmirror will replicate this property
to the other disk.  You'll also most likely have a few blocks left over.
As for units of MB, I'm not sure.  Could be rounding.

Can we assume your gmirror is now working?

Best regards,

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776