6.1 'No kernel found' after install

Bill Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Wed May 17 06:40:19 PDT 2006

At Wed, 17 May 2006 it looks like Steve Bertrand composed:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I downloaded FreeBSD 6.1 yesterday, ensured the checksum was correct,
> and promptly expanded the ISO onto a CD.
>
> After seemingly successfully installing it onto a box (I have several
> other of these exact machines running 5 and 6.0), after reboot, it
> claims it can't find the kernel. I've ls'd pretty much all of the
> directories on the hard disk, and sure enough, it doesn't appear the
> kernel was installed. (I performed the install 4 times to be sure).

That happened to me the first time, but worked the second time and I
knew the second install was different than the first install for I
was all of a sudden presented with single gui "install-questions"
regarding users, and stuff like that.  Not what I did different the
second time other than resize the partitions by a slight amount to
ensure that nothing from the previous install was used, even a
previously formatted partition.

It installed the second try.