Nubie can't connect to X-Server

Joshua Larkin jlarkin at norwich.edu
Wed May 17 06:07:38 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm a newbie trying to install FreeBSD 6.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop.
I've been reading along in The Complete FreeBSD as I did the install but had
a problem when it came to the "Configuring X" section. Mainly, on the Post
Install Configuration menu, there is no option to configure XFree86? After
searching, I booted up my machine and got to a prompt, however, when I
"startkde," I get a constantly scrolling message that reads "Cannot connect
to the X server." Any suggestions? Thanks everyone for your help.

-Josh