makeworld FAILURE on 5.4-STABLE

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 03:29:34 PDT 2006

On 5/17/06, Kyrre Nygard <kyrreny at broadpark.no> wrote:

> [...]
> > > I'll treasure it for the rest of my days!
> > >
> > > Peace,
> > > Kyrre
> >
> >Not as you have it now. However, I read a possible solution that I think
> >might work, to you from David Stanford. I think it will work, it just
> >needs a couple of suggestions to flesh it out a bit.
> >
> >I'll requote it here:
> >How large is your /var slice? If it's large enough to fit /home (or at
> >least the files you'd like to save), maybe try booting into single-user
> >mode, mount /usr and /var, wipe out /var, copy the files from /usr/home
> >to /var, and just remember to document what slice /var was. Then you
> >could just reinstall the base system around it using a 6.1-RELEASE CD,
> >no?
> >
> >Just a shot in the dark...
> >===============
> >
> >Not a bad shot in the dark, I think it will work if you do it this way:
> >1) Follow what David said above,  be sure to document what slice /var
> >is. You're going to need that information when you reinstall with the
> >6.1-RELEASE disc.
> >
> >2) boot up the release disc. Use the standard install method. The first
> >thing you come to is "fdisk" partitioning. The only thing you're going
> >to do here is make an existing partition bootable, don't change
> >anything else, don't make any new partitions, don't delete any. Just
> >make the one partition bootable, then go on to the next step and
> >install the boot manager.
> >
> >3) BSDlabel is the next step. Since you didn't change any partitions on
> >your disc, the existing slices should come up. You can remove and
> >recreate all of them except the one you had for /var. You're going to
> >mount that one as /home. At this point, you can create your other
> >slices and mount points. Make sure that the slice you now have as /home
> >is not going have 'newfs' run on it, all the others need to have it
> >done, but not /home. Then go on with the installation.
> >
> >Until you go through the disk label step, you haven't changed anything.
> >Once you get through that step, you're committed, and what will be,
> >will be. So, if you need any clarification, ask for it. Just remember,
> >if you make a mistake, it's unpleasant and you'll be kicking yourself
> >in the ass, but it's not the end of the world.
> >
> >Don
>
> Hey man,
>
> # df
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad4s1a    248M     35M    193M    15%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad4s1d    248M     80M    148M    35%    /var
> /dev/ad4s1e    248M     10K    228M     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad4s1f    142G    118G     12G    91%    /usr
>
> Great shot! :)
>
> So in my case, can I not first mount /dev/ad4s1f from FreeSBIE
> maybe, delete everything except my home directory, and then run a
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE reinstall, skipping the parts that would

Maybe I'm confused as to what you're looking to do. If you're looking to
copy data from (or all of) /home to /var, it obviously won't be able to hold
anymore than 248MB; and it seems like you have much more data than that.

And avoiding the /usr slice won't help with upgrading as you will need to
reinstall a new /usr slice anyway using the 6.1-RELEASE disc. Much of the
system is located in /usr...

If you have more than 248MB worth of data you need to save, and upgrading is
absolutely necessary, I would suggest just ponying up the $40.00 and getting
an external hard drive to back up the data. Then do a fresh install.

Hehe, no it would not be the end of the world.
> But it would put an end to the fruits of a lot of struggle.
>
> See you around man,
> Kyrre

-David