Skype

Adi Pircalabu apircalabu at bitdefender.com
Wed May 17 02:05:15 PDT 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:47:42 -1000 Stephen Bartlett wrote:

> > linux_enable="YES"
> > should be enough.
>
> FWIW, I had had Skype running fine on 6.0-RELEASE -- then it stopped
> working for some unknown reason.  Symptoms were that the Skype
> process would start, fire up some child processes, but never bring up
> any windows.
>
> I upgraded to 6.1-RELEASE, did a portupgrade, and still had the same
> problem with Skype.  After reading that other people still were able
> to run Skype, I decided to start all over with it: deinstalled
> net/skype, deinstalled the emulators/linux_base-suse-9.3 that I'd
> been using, and 'rm -rf /compat/linux/*'.  Then, I just:
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/skype
> make install
> (that ended up installing linux_base-8)

Yep, but you've probably been left with outdated libraries. Try to use
portupgrade or portmanager, they both do a very good job in updating
dependencies.

> Although the build/install went fine, Skype wouldn't start due to
> missing libraries.  So I copied them over from a Linux partition
> (happens to be Gentoo): libGL.so.1 libXmu.so.6
> libXrandr.so.2
> libXcursor.so.1
> libXft.so.2
> libSM.so.6
> libICE.so.6
> libXext.so.6
> libX11.so.6
> libXxf86vm.so.1
> libXt.so.6
> libXrender.so.1
> libexpat.so.0

Mine works ok, 6.1-STABLE as of yesterday. I think your system misses
some updated linux-\* ports:

pkg_glob -R skype
linux_dri-4.4.0
linux-fontconfig-2.2.3_4
linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_7
linux_base-8-8.0_14
linux-expat-1.95.7_1
skype-1.2.0.18
Do you have latest versions of the above installed?

--
Adi Pircalabu (PGP Key ID 0x04329F5E)

For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/