apache re-write?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue May 16 21:56:07 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:32:00PM -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	I thought I had my  rewrite lines set up correctly so that my
> >	JWChat utility would work; so that it would be seen from outside
> >	my localnet.  But, from outside servers, pointing my browser at
> >
> >	http://sage.thought.org/jwchat/
> >
> >	hits my 404.html wall.  So something is not configured correctly.
> >	It looks as tho  my apache httpd.conf is set.  I've been going
> >	back and forth with this for a few days.  Any ideas??
> >	I'm running apache-1.3.
> >
> >	thanks much,
> >
> >	gary
>
> Show us the relevant config stuff?

	Things are still mis-configured, but the following entry in
	httpd.conf at least gets rid of my 404 err.

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName sage.thought.org
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/jwchat
  ### Below: 3 lines are required.
  <Directory /usr/local/www/jwchat>
    Options  +Indexes +Multiviews
  </Directory>
  ##AddDefaultCharset UTF-8  /// no effect...
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteRule http-poll/ http://127.0.0.1:5280/http-poll/ [P]
</VirtualHost>

	This is the result of my own experimentation.  According to
	the JWChat docs, it works with apache-2.x, but at least one
	fellow in E. Europe has it working with 1.3.  It looks like
	I'll have to start from square-zero.  But if anybody
	on-list has this working (w/ 1.3), I'd sure like to know!

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix