6.1RC2 regression and a BIG question.

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 16 02:18:07 PDT 2006

Denis R Michailov wrote:

>We bought HP Proliant DL 320 G4.[...]
>

>But 6.0i386 &&
>6.0amd64 was installed successfully but server hang up on loggin in
>(when i see a login message I cannot type anything my keyboard doesn`t
>respond at all (except Num, Scroll and Caps Lock)) but I see that if I
>push the power button I get a lot of messages shutting down the system
>(as if I typed CTRL+ALT+DEL) acpi is surelly on. Safe Mode and so on
>didn help except single user mode.

Disclaimer: no experience of HP Proliant, but no-one else is saying
anything...

If this were a Dell, I'd say that a virtual USB keyboard was taking over
from the keyboard you were using.  (Cap, Num, Scroll lock are all sort
of hardwired into the keyboard so the OS could easily have no effect on
them appearing to work).

Have a look through /var/run/dmesg.boot and see if there looks to be
more than one keyboard recognised.  If so, then check out the man page
for kbdcontrol and try (from an ssh session) redirecting the system
keyboard.  If that works you can try doing that automatically through
devfs.  There have been threads on this which google/pipermail should
find for you.  You could post any relevant extracts from dmesg.boot
here, if you have trouble figuring out if you do have more than one
keyboard device.  You could also mention what kind of keyboard you have
(PS/2/USB) since that may be relevant.

Since this is 6.X, you could also try compiling a kernel with kbdmux
device which allows multiple keyboards to work, but I've never tried that.

Can't promise that this is it, but the symptoms suggest it might be.

--Alex