Linux distro with ports/package type system?

vayu vayu at sklinks.com
Mon May 15 23:15:20 PDT 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 5/15/06, vayu <vayu at sklinks.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 15, 2006, at 2:15 AM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>>
>> > I have an older 440MX based laptop that I'm fairly sure FreeBSD
>> won't
>> > like, I don't want to run windows on this box... so I'm looking
>> for a
>> > Linux distro that has a ports like system.
>> >
>> > I need KDE, X.org, and a 2.6 kernel installed by default...
>> dammit...
>> > I don't want to #$%! with Linux, maybe I'll give FreeBSD another
>> try
>> > first, anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys.
>> >

>> I've heard that Gentoo's package management system "Portage" is
>> inspired by FreeBSDs ports, but I believe it's a bit of work to
>> install and compile a working system.
>>
>> I've been using Debian based Kubuntu on my laptop, and find the
>> package management excellent. The installation and maintenance is
>> easy.  It's my choice when I want to install and go.
>>

> Thanks, I didn't know Kubuntu / Ubuntu was Debian based. I like Debian
> but the distribution always seems to be stuck in last year, It's still
> using a 2.4 kernel, XFree86, and KDE 3.3!
>
> Anyways, Kubuntu 6.06 Beta2 appears to meet most of my requirements so
> I'll give it a whirl.

I like it. They do keep quite up to date.  It is geared for the
masses and as such there will be some stuff you don't need but it
works on my sons PIII 450 with 6GB hard disk and 256MB RAM and the
Install is easy and painless.

(If you need a really trim system you can do a server install and
then install KDE separately, then you'll bypass the Kubuntu value
added features)