Is there a daemon/program for FreeBSD that accepts Microsoft RDP connections?

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Sat May 13 16:01:07 PDT 2006

On May 13, 2006, at 11:40 pm, Tom Norris wrote:
> I'm trying to convince my boss to let me set up a FreeBSD system as
> file server.  He said he would allow it if he could use Microsoft's
> RDP client (not VNC or SSH :( ) to connect and monitor the machine
> at his whim.  Are there any daemons that will take incoming RDP
> connections?

I think your boss is missing the point slightly ... he hasn't got an
MCSE has he? ;)

I'm 99% sure the only RDP servers come with windoze.  Why don't you
install KDE on your file server (ick) and install another windows box
under your desk permanently VNC'd into it.  Then he can RDP to that
and he will never know the difference :)

We have a Win2k3 server and I can't tell you how many times I've
nearly kicked it to pieces because we used the TWO remote sessions
and couldn't log in.  Once, we used up both RDP sessions, the VNC
server crashed, and when I plugged the mouse and keyboard in it
wouldn't respond (bloody PS2!!!)  I lost my rag and yanked the power
cord.

On a less it's-late-and-I'm-feeling-sarcastic note, perhaps you could
just set the server up to e-mail him the output of essential stats,
like du -h.  I still don't see why he feels the need to monitor the
file server though.  Surely that's your job!

Just my opinionated twopence...

Ashley