Pros and Cons of running under inetd....

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sat May 13 03:48:54 PDT 2006

There are two ways to run these at boot.  The more standard way is to
create an rc script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Whatever scripts you create must have .sh extension to run at boot.

For instance you would create ftp-proxy.sh in that directory with the
single line to execute the ftp-proxy with any command line options you need
or want.  You would do the same creating a fam.sh file with the commandline
for fam.

The other metod is to run these from cron on boot, using the @reboot for
the time to run these.  You can do a
man 5 crontab
to see the exact syntax.

As an aside, I have fam installed on one 6.1 server, but I believe it is
being run from within gnome, as there is no entry for it to run in inet, rc
scripts, or cron.

         -Derek

At 05:24 AM 5/13/2006, dick hoogendijk wrote:
>On 12 May Eric Schuele wrote:
> > Derek Ragona wrote:
> > >Yes it is still true today.  The default system now has inetd running
> > >nothing.  And the ports now install rc scripts for these reasons.
> >
> > Not arguing here... everything I've found on the web says something
> > similar.
> >
> > But why do we have inetd?  I assume it solved a problem in the past,
> > that no longer exists.  Not to mention its spotted security history.
> >
> > >For network daemons, when they are running in a listen mode there is
> > >no real overhead on the system.
>
>OK, I run inetd for just these two services:
>
>#
># FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
>sgi_fam/1-2     stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam fam
>#
># an appropriate block rule to your pf.conf
>#
>ftp-proxy stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftp-proxy ftp-proxy
>
>If inetd is a security risk how can I change these things to work
>without inetd? As I understand thare is no other way, but I'm very keen
>on learning ;-)
>
>--
>dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
>++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ The Power to Serve
>
>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.