New FreeBSD logo

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat May 13 02:20:45 PDT 2006

Your missing something - "they" didn't ask all us users if we wanted
a new logo or not.

>Maybe I'm going out on a limb
>here, and maybe I'm solo dangling out there on it, but I feel a need
>to say something in defense. They spent

they wasted

> much valued donation money for
>the logo and in legal fees, I'm sure, to obtain it, so I would assume
>(and hope) it's here to stay.

Unlikely.  Most corporate logos change every 10-20 years or so.  Some
also have a raft of logos.  For example Chrysler used to use the
medallion for it's logo.  Then they switched to the pentagram.  Now
they are back to the medallion and it's been redone.    AT&T has also
changed logos, they used to use the bell then the Death Star, now
they are using a modifed Death Star.  Fads and fashions
in logos come and go.  The current FreBSD sex toy logo is very
much a current fashion, as abstract logos like that are all the
rage now.  But it's just going to get dated all the faster for that.

>Furthermore, by continuing to post
>threads like this you (and others) are hardly contributing to the
>Project (or this list) and, in fact, are doing the exact opposite -
>you are attempting to destroy the new logo's image by imaturely
>calling it a "sex toy" and in turn are slowly taking away from those
>precious dollars put into aquiring it.

Why throw more good money after bad?

>Maybe it's not the greatest
>logo, but, regardless, the logo doesn't affect the code. Try to keep
>that in mind. FreeBSD is a gift. And anyone who doesn't see that
>should take another look at Microsoft's pricing options for a simple
>Home edition of XP (now $99, five years after its initial release).
>Please do the community a favor: Just say thanks and move along.

The community doesen't want the new logo and the majority of the
community
prefers Beastie over the sex-toy.

>**Of course, this was not aimed at the general community, but more
>specifically at the folks wasting everyone's inbox space the past few
>days with this nonsense.**

like yourself?

Ted