An FTP alternative ?

Nick Withers nick at nickwithers.com
Fri May 12 21:00:30 PDT 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006 04:57:25 +0200
Leo Lapousterle <lapousterle at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello :)
>
> I'm fed up with FTP servers : FTP is great, but I need some admin stuff
> like privileges (one user can upload but not download, for example)
> unavailable for FTP... at least for those I've tested.
>
> Is there an alternative way for FTP, allowing individual privileges?
> I found hxd (hotline protocol, I used it 7 years ago!), it's very powerful
> but quite discontinued...
>
> Anybody has another idea? :)
> Thanks!

Have you looked at SFTP? It's a "subsystem" that operates over
an SSH connection. Whilst it requires that a user be able to
login over SSH to the server, you can use filesystem
permissions (and indeed other system facilities) to enforce
things like being able to upload / download on a fairly
granular (e.g.: directory-level) basis.

> --
> Léo

Hope this helps!