X11 6.9 issue -- options "AGPMode" and "AGPFastWrite"

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri May 12 21:05:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 21:51 +0200, martinko wrote:
> hello list!
>
> i've just upgraded X11 from 6.8.2 to 6.9.0 and run into the following issue:
>
> after starting x11 for the first time the screen went black and console
> was inaccessible (i had to reboot). when i tried the generated xorg.conf
> (`Xorg -configure`) it worked. so i started comparing my old config file
> with the new one and found out that the following two options i had been
> using are the root of the problem:
>          Option      "AGPMode" "4"       # ++ 2005-02-11 mato
>          Option      "AGPFastWrite"     # ++ 2005-02-11 mato
> they just cannot be set both at the same time now.
> and i wonder why.
> and also i wonder which one to comment out and which one to keep (if any
> at all).

Comment them both out and live a happier life with a more stable
computer.  In my testing (and as far as I know, I'm the only one who has
done performance comparisons with AGPMode), AGPMode 4 provided no
meaningful performance improvement except under contrived circumstances.
AGPFastWrite is the most unstable option ever, and I couldn't benchmark
because it crashes.  We've threatened to just disconnect these options
upstream and not tell anyone, because they're that harmful but people
seem to think they're secret performance sauce that the developers don't
want to give them.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com