StarOffice inmstallation in FreeBSD 6.0

solsyst at netscape.net solsyst at netscape.net
Fri May 12 13:47:58 PDT 2006

Dear FreeBSD:
Here is my problem description and my question.

I have a bin file for Star office 5.2. (so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin).
Somehow, a few years ago, I successfully installed it on my Linux
system.

I recently installed FreeBSD 6.0 and checked my Linux (base 8)
compatibility. Seems to be operating ok.

So, first I did a "brandelf -t linux
/usr/TEMP/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin so that FreeBSD sees the file as a
linux binary. Then I ran ./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin /net under TRUSS
and observed the execution opening and closing  several files. But when
it opened /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 it was not happy. It closed the
file and reported that "ELF file OS ABI invalid.". So I did a brandelf
on the file and sure enough was told "is of brand FreeBSD"

So here is my question: The file /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 is used in
the X system. Will I screw up my X system if I do a "brandelf -t linux
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6"  to this file so that
,/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin  sees a Linux binary? I am assuming that a
"brandelf -t linux /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6" will fix  the error "ELF
file OS ABI invalid."and the ./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin execution
will continue to the next file problem, and so on till star office is
loaded and I can install and run under star office.

Clearly I do not want to screw up my Xsystem and not be able to run
KDE. It is working very well including Koffice components.

P.S. I did read the Handbook 10.8 Advanced Topics & some other docs.