Reducing the size of /

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Fri May 12 12:18:01 PDT 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 11:11 AM, bsd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have three partitions on my server and would like to reduce the
> size of / because I am getting quite full !
>
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ar0s1a    3.8G    2.8G    668M    81%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ar0s1d     60G    1.9G     53G     3%    /home
>

> What are the places I could start looking in to delete not so
> usefull files, knowing that I am syncing using portsnat (and
> previously cvsup).

A good command I use when things start getting full is:

#du -hd 1 [filesystem]

Where [filesystem] is the partition path you want stats on.  My
output looks like this:

# du -hd 1 /
2.0K    /.snap
1.5K    /dev
49G    /usr
841M    /var
3.1G    /www
2.3M    /stand
3.1M    /etc
2.0K    /cdrom
924K    /bin
39M    /boot
3.2M    /lib
282K    /libexec
2.0K    /mnt
2.0K    /proc
3.5M    /rescue
15M    /root
4.0M    /sbin
8.3M    /tmp
2.0K    /floppy
2.2M    /jail
53G    /

It can tell you where your using the most space.  I'm guessing your /
usr  directory is the culprit.  Try going to /usr/ports and typing
make distclean.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks