very slow boot (newbie)

Barnaby Scott bds at waywood.co.uk
Thu May 11 13:30:56 PDT 2006

I have mangaged to install version 6.0 and have had a bit of a play, but
not before re-installing because the boot had been sooooo slow, I
thought I must have mucked it up!

However it was just a slow point in the boot sequence - but one which I
still can't believe is normal.

The boot sequence all goes smoothly, telling me all sorts of things I
never thought I'd need to know, and frankly don't understand, until it
gets to the following line:

Configuring syscons: keymap blanktime screensaver.

and then stops! I have timed it - it stops for between 4 and 5 minutes
every time.

Can this be normal? If not, what do I do? (Words of one syllable only
please!)

Thanks

Barnaby Scott

PS I am conscious that I don't really know the etiquette around here too
well (apart from not mentioning the logo!) - I don't want to clutter the
  list with messages of thanks when help is given, but at the same time
I don't want to seem ungrateful - which is right? (Thanks by the way to
all who helped me with my last question about interacting with a
headless Windows box.)