Filesystem corruption when drives are mirrored, but not otherwise

Alastair Rankine arsptr at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 10 12:45:30 UTC 2006

On 02/05/2006, at 10:18 PM, I wrote:

> The story is this: two identical WD 250GB SATA drives, attached to
> a Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus.
>
> The drives work fine independently (ie non-mirrored). But when I
> mirror them using GEOM, I get filesystem corruption (see below for
> example fsck output).

It seems that this was caused by the (infamous) problem when
softupdates and write caching are both enabled. Disabling write
caching seems to have fixed the problem.

Unfortunately the disk write performance is woeful. There must be a
better way surely?

Is anyone using GEOM mirrors on ATA disks with softupdates and write
caching? If so, what's your secret?