New FreeBSD Logo

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed May 10 08:51:55 UTC 2006

No, the original BSD representation
(http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/jpg/foglio.jpg)
included many devils, not looking at all like Beastie.  The famous
"classic" artwork that most of the successive representations have been
based on was the
4.3BSD daemon drawn by John Lasseter.  It also didn't hurt that John went
on to do Toy Story and so on.

Many BSD variants have used variations of the Lasseter artwork simply
because it was such a good image, it captured the essense of BSD at
the time - bursting onto the scene yet still fragile and young.

But not all BSD variants used and use Beastie.  BSDI only used him a
few times, OpenBSD uses the blowfish, not Beastie, NetBSD uses the
flag.  Although, both NetBSD and OpenBSD have used modified Beastie
images in the past.

The sad truth is that FreeBSD has really gone way downhill in the
logo department.  We traded in a logo drawn by a true professional
who is one of the famous great graphic artists of our time, for a amateur
ping-pong ball drawn by a nobody in a nickel and dime contest.

Ted