jails or chroot?

Michael Grant mg-fbsd3 at grant.org
Tue May 9 11:53:05 UTC 2006

I host a bunch of websites on my box.  Recently I had some problems
with file access problems with php which caused me to look into
putting each of my clients into their own jail or chroot.  I have
roughly 100 different domains I'd need to split.

Has anyone done this for more than a handfull of clients?  Using
apache and their "mass virtual hosting", 100 domains is a breeze.  But
with a jail or chroot, I need a separate apache process for each
domain.  This is going to mean hundreds of apache processes.  This
seems unreasonable.

When it comes time to upgrade, how does one upgrade 100 different
jails?  This will be a nightmare!

What do you folks do who run lots of domains on freebsd?

Michael Grant