freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Marty Landman martster at gmail.com
Mon May 8 18:11:29 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, Greg Barniskis <nalists at scls.lib.wi.us> wrote:

> Marty Landman wrote:
> > I've just reinstalled FBSD 4.8 from the mini-iso on an old box (PII-133
> > w/ 3
> > GB on two hd's). The problem I'm running into is that my ports are
> looking
> > for old, outdated packages, I think.

If you have enough RAM, go ahead and install 5.4 or 6.0 (or soon enough, 6.1
> ).

Hi Greg. My issue is that would like to continue using this box and -
possibly because of the age of the cdrom - am having a problem installing
with my 6.0 iso too. :(

This box has 82M of ram, forgot to mention that. And it is running 4.8 with
just about nothing on it, and it is networked with my office broadband
connection.

So, is there a simple way I could install over the net? And how high a
release could I go? Obviously I won't be putting X windows on there but if I
can get Apache w/ mod_perl, Samba, Mysql and Perl it'll be a useful machine
for my intranet. I had all that on before but apparently 4.8 isn't going to
work for me now unless I have a time machine.

Marty

--
Web Installed Formmail - http://face2interface.com/formINSTal/
Webmaster's BBS - http://bbs.face2interface.com/