Panic: vrele: negative ref cnt

Robert H. Perry rperry at gti.net
Sun May 7 22:18:56 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Kennaway [mailto:kris at obsecurity.org]
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:20 PM
To: Robert H. Perry
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Panic: vrele: negative ref cnt

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 03:16:46PM -0400, Robert H. Perry wrote:
> I received a panic message (see Subject) yesterday following a GNOME
> upgrade.  The upgrade was successful but I encountered subsequent problems
> trying to access Firefox websites and my mail site in Thunderbird.  I
> noticed a Plugin error message in Firefox and prepared to paste it into a
> message to the mailing list but was unable to get a connection and
> eventually lost it.
>
> I reset my modem several times then decided to reboot.  First, I
re-enabled
> my firewall then entered shutdown -r now.  Next I received the panic
message
> and a repeat of the following:
>
> READ_DMA ad0:Timeout - Read_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA = 28162271
> READ_DMA ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA status=51 <READY, DSC, ERROR> error = 40
> <Uncorrectable>  LBA =28162271

Your hard drive is dying.  This may have caused the panic as a
secondary effect after the read failed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Not good news obviously, but could
be worse.  This is my mule machine. I was using it as a gateway, to develop
some networking skills, and had installed SAMBA and was also trying to
install HylaFAX .  Fortunately it has a second hard drive which currently
holds the /var slice.  Out with the bad and in with the good.

BTW, can the data on this drive be copied to the surviving drive?  What
commands do I need to review?  My initial thoughts were to simply install
6.0 and go on from there.  Any hints/suggestions are appreciated.

Bob