How do I set up an IRC site?

Bigby Findrake bigby at ephemeron.org
Sun May 7 06:03:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Folks,
>
> 	I'm thinking of setting up an IRC page on my website so I
> 	can chat (live) with just a few people.  Are there any tutorials
> 	on this?  Othr than using GAIM and ymessenger, the last time I
> 	did live chat was circa 1991 with the write utility.  So beyond
> 	that, I'm clueless.

I use hybrid (http://ircd-hybrid.com/) for the ircd - I chose that for its
reputed stability.  Hybrid's not the most featureful ircd out there, but
it's been great to me.  I added on hybserv (http://www.hybserv.net/) for
services.

For the web front-end part, I've tried several, from java clients to a cgi
gateway.  pjirc (http://www.pjirc.com/about.php) is a very sweet java
applet.  It's free, slick looking, very configurable (on the back/admin
end) and very featureful as java clients go.

Some limitations of java clients is that your clients need network access
to the irc server (some sites/networks/companies/etc. block irc access)
and you need java (which not all browsers/OSes support).  That's why I
also offer a cgi-to-irc (http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net/) gateway.  It's a
bit clunky, but it allows people who can't use the java client (for one of
the above reasons) to still connect to irc via the web.

Who made the world I cannot tell;
'Tis made, and here am I in hell.
My hand, though now my knuckles bleed,
I never soiled with such a deed.