Remote 'viewing / control' of X Windows

Parv parv at pair.com
Sun May 7 05:33:54 UTC 2006

in message <20060506223053.X36981 at ganymede.hub.org>,
wrote Marc G. Fournier thusly...

> I'm dealing with a situation where I'm migrating ppl over to using
> X vs M$ Windows ... I'd like to be able to help them out remotely,
> similar to how I can with VNC for Windows ...
>
> Is there something similar for Unix that would allow me to
> 'piggyback' in such a way that they're X desktop is an xterm on my
> machine, so that I can move their mouse around, show them the
> steps to do something, etc?

I don't think one could use plain VNC (realvnc, tightvnc & such) to
move mouse on already running X session.  Please let me know if that
is possible.

There, however, is x11vnc port (net/x11vnc) which can connects to
already running X instance which should fulfill Marc's requirement.
See also x2vnc (x11-servers/x2vnc) port.

  - Parv