Jails won't start when using /etc/rc.d/jail

Matt Bostock matt at mattbostock.com
Sun May 7 03:41:40 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm using EZJail (http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/ezjail/) on FreeBSD 6.0.
EZJail uses the /etc/rc.d/jail mechanism.

My problem is that whilst I can start a jail using the 'jail' command manually
(and type commands, start services etc in the jail), when I try to start it with
/etc/rc.d/jail, it seems to start (/var/log/console.log is written to with the
date) and then die. 'jls' will not show the new jail, and no processes are
running inside it - I presume it is entirely dead.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,
Matt :)