installing multiple kernels

Alastair G. Hogge agh at tpg.com.au
Sun May 7 01:43:41 UTC 2006

On Sunday 07 May 2006 11:30, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> People,
Michael,

> Coming from Linux, I'm used to being able to build multiple kernels and
> install them all, configuring the bootloader to pick one of them at boot
> time. I can't find anything on doing this on FreeBSD. Is this possible?
Have you tried INSTKERNNAME with your different kernel configs?
For example:
make  kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC INSTKERNNAME=kernel.GENERIC
make  kernel KERNCONF=MADCAT.DEBUG INSTKERNNAME=kernel.MADCAT.DEBUG
make  kernel KERNCONF=MADCAT

Will result in /boot/kernel.GENERIC, /boot/kernel.MADCAT.DEBUG & /boot/kernel
any of which you can load from the boot loader

> Thanks,
Hope it helped

> Mike
Alastair