Software RAID guidance

Ian Jefferson ijeff at sandbox.ca
Fri May 5 00:00:03 UTC 2006

I have been uable to get vinum to work under 6.0.  I'm no expert though.

Vinum became gvinum in 6.0 and is implemented using geom.

Recently the gvinum man page has been updated and it available in 6.1
RC-1.

I think if you want mirroring only you should consult the geom pages.  It
seems as though geom is the way of the future but does not currently
support R5 which is what I was looking for.

Somewhere out there is a pretty comprehensive set of iozone benchmarks
comparing linux and BSD software Raid.  Ah found it:
http://www25.big.jp/~jam/filesystem/old/

This might give you some ideas.