graceful way of stopping X remotely

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Thu May 4 17:59:44 UTC 2006

Noah wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Its been a while since I've had to admin X.  What is a graceful way to stop X
>when I am remote to the machine?

Cntl-alt-backspace on many systems, but certainly not all.  epends on
what's been programmed  into the keyboard macros ... seee the xkb
facilities in X11 (man xkbcomp, so if cntl-alt-backspace doesn't work
now for you, maybe you could add it in).

Many systems have a macro for cntl-alt-del, but that causes a reboot,
and I think that's too extreme for your requirements.  Your best bet is
investigating xkbcomp.