dhclient-exit-hooks

fbsd fbsd at a1poweruser.com
Thu May 4 14:41:19 UTC 2006

Today I installed the isc-dhcp-client package.
It installs a completlly different dhclient-script.
One that looks like it matchhes what your begin/exit
scripts are designed to work with.

# base version
/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks.sav
/etc/dhclient.conf
/sbin/dhclient
/sbin/dhclient-script

# port version
/etc/rc.d/dhclient
/usr/local/etc/dhclient.conf
/usr/local/etc/dhclient.conf.sample
/usr/local/sbin/dhclient
/usr/local/sbin/dhclient-script

At the end of the pkg install it says this.
****  To setup dhclient, you may need to edit /etc/rc.conf to
replace the
      base system dhclient, such as :

   dhcp_program="/usr/local/sbin/dhclient"
   dhcp_flags="-q"

When I boot with this in my rc.conf

dhcp_program="/usr/local/sbin/dhclient"
dhcp_flags="-q"                # no banner
background_dhclient="YES"      # Start dhcp client in the
background.
ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"

I get these error messages over and over.
Have to reboot in single user mode to edit rc.conf to fix.

 Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
 Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
 running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
 bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
 are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
 includes a bootp server.

When I boot with the same rc.conf content execpt with
#ifconfig_dc0="DHCP" commented out, I do not get ip address from
dhcp server.

Next run I edited the pkg version of /usr/local/etc/dhclient.conf
and added 'interface dc0' to it and rebooted and got same results.

I think this is another indicator of a bug with the base dhclient
and
that this bug makes the pkg version unusable.

How do I turn on this xtrace you talk about to capture the rc.conf
boot process?
I can not find man xtrace. There is a ktrace.