FreeBSD 6.0 and Mac File System

Wed May 3 23:38:20 UTC 2006

On 29 apr 2006, at 15:28, Yousef Raffah wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 09:11 -0400, John Cruz wrote:
>> I don't know about HFS, but you can format your mac drives with
>> UFS when
>> you do a clean install of MacOS, at least then FreeBSD would be
>> able to
>> read them.
>>
> You are right but this isn't my case here :(, I have an external HD
> which has HFS(+) file system on it and I want to use it with my
> FreeBSD
> 6.1-RC1
>
> Any chances?

Mac OSX can't be installed onto a UFS formatted drive as far as I know
Most OSX programs won't run on it either
you can format partitions or drives other than the system drive with
UFS not only at the installtion

>> Yousef Raffah wrote:
>>> What is the status of reading/writing to Mac's file system (HFS)
>>> or is
>>> it HFS+?

it is HFS+ for Mac OS 8.1 and later

>>> Are they supported in FreeBSD 6.0? How about 6.1-RC? Can we
>>> write to that file system or only read at moment? Is it safe? I'm
>>> trying
>>> to find something in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES file but
>>> nothing
>>> is promising so far

http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/

add this to your kernelconfig file:
option          GEOM_APPLE      # Apple HFS+ support

I was able to compile it on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 but haven't had
the time to check if it actually works.

google for iPod and FreeBSD for more info :)

Arno