public samba share annoyingly asking for password

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Tue May 2 17:57:36 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Vittorio <vdemart1 at tin.it> wrote:
> Now, the problem is that
> at boot time - after logging in the MS-windows client -  windows 2000
> or NT clients present the user with a pop-up window asking for a
> password to connect to the public share (I created the 'pcguest'
> freebsd user as a passwordless user and to 'smbpasswd pcguest' I didn't
> provide any password at all!). Clicking on OK the share is immediatedly
> connected and it all works. Nonetheless the pop-up window asking for a
> password is somewhat disturbing.
> By the way, windows XP clients don't
> seem to suffer from the same problem. They connect to the share
> smoothly, without asking anything as expected!

Check the samba logs, I suspect the NT client is trying to auth as
"DOMAIN\user" instead of just "user". That doesn't work because the
samba server is not part of a domain; when you click OK the NT client
is sending a new auth as just "user". I've seen this on Win2k clients.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--