public samba share annoyingly asking for password

nthwaver at gmail.com nthwaver at gmail.com
Tue May 2 17:48:15 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Vittorio <vdemart1 at tin.it> wrote:
> Context: pentium 4, freebsd 6.0, samba 3.0.22,
> 6 windows 2000, NT,XP
> samba clients
>
> Dear friends,
>
> I'm writing to this ML because, googling
> the net on the subject reported below,  it seems that samba works
> slightly differently according to the platform in which it is installed
> (I read of differences of behaviour between Fedora and Debian samba
> installations, or even between FC1 and FC2 installations).
>
> I setup a
> samba server connected to a very large *** original MS-windows LAN ***
> with the following smb.conf file. The aim is to put in a public read-
> only share all the programs we need to share.
>
> Now, the problem is that
> at boot time - after logging in the MS-windows client -  windows 2000
> or NT clients present the user with a pop-up window asking for a
> password to connect to the public share (I created the 'pcguest'
> freebsd user as a passwordless user and to 'smbpasswd pcguest' I didn't
> provide any password at all!). Clicking on OK the share is immediatedly
> connected and it all works. Nonetheless the pop-up window asking for a
> password is somewhat disturbing.
> By the way, windows XP clients don't
> seem to suffer from the same problem. They connect to the share
> smoothly, without asking anything as expected!
>
> Any idea to solve the
> problem?
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio
>

> ###smb.conf
>
> [global]
> workgroup = mygroup
> server string = FreeBSD
> map to guest = Bad User
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> security = user
> guest account = pcguest
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%
> load printers = No
> preferred master = No
> local master = No
> domain
> master = No
> dns proxy = No
> wins server = 10.100.10.38, 10.100.10.21
> hosts allow = 10.100.
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> read only =
> No
> browseable = No
>
> [public]
> comment = Deposit
> path = /home/pcguest
> guest only = Yes
> guest ok = Yes

This is based on a slightly different experience with a Linux host,
but my first guess is you want to add "security = share" to the public
section to override the global "security = user".  For that share, you
might also want "force user = pcguest" and some explicit commands for
whether you want it write protected, but I'd see if the first solution
solves your problem.

Jordan