force lease renewal from dhcpd

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Tue May 2 15:50:22 UTC 2006

On 02 May 2006 09:59:04 -0400, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "fbsd" <fbsd at a1poweruser.com> writes:
>
> > Is there some way to force all leases under dhcpd to perform lease
> > renewal routine?
>
> Even if the dhcpd implements INFORM, most clients won't.
>
> In practice, if you want the clients to update before their existing
> lease is due for renewal, you generally have to go around to the
> clients individually.

Or plan ahead. If you know you will be changing some lease options you
should set the lease time down to something small at least
$(current_lease_period) seconds ahead of time. Then you can be fairly
certain that all systems will get a new lease within
$(new_lease_period) seconds of you change. Afterwards you can increase
the lease period back up. Of course, this assumes you were not handing
out "infinite" lease periods.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--