Cupsd strangeness....

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Tue May 2 14:23:04 UTC 2006

Hello,

While this should be of absolutely no real concern.... my lack of
ability to resolve it is causing me sleepless nights.  I'm sure this
should be an easy one... I just can't seem to fix it.

Everything cups related is working perfectly fine.  However,  my dmesg
shows the following:

Starting cupsd.
Starting cupsd.
cupsd: Child exited with status 48!
Usage: cups {reload|restart|start|status|stop}

And its driving me crazy!  Cupsd is trying to start twice?  and the
second time is giving an error.

What have I done wrong here?
[~]
         % ls /etc/rc.d | grep cups
[~]
% ls /usr/local/etc/rc.d | grep cups
cups.sh.delme*
cups.sh.sample*
cupsd.delme*
cupsd.sample*
cupsd.sh*
[~]
         % grep cups /etc/rc.conf
cupsd_enable="YES"
#cups_enable="YES"

Using FreeBSD 6.1-RC as of Sat some time... but had this problem quite a
while.  I'm sure it started the last time I rebuilt the machine (two
month back maybe).  And I'm sure its a config error on my part.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Regards,
Eric