backup system rsync <-> dump

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue May 2 13:02:27 UTC 2006

> I have two disks; one is the fbsd system drive, the other is for backup
> purposes.
>
> I'm in doubt about what to use: dump or rsync

I use dump/restore, but do the command slightly differently.
Since dump works on a file system I cd to the destination mount point
and work from there and I don't have to put the cd in the middle.

  cd /backup/root
  dump -0aLf - / | restore -rf -

works fine.
You don't have to newfs each time, but you do need to do
something to clean out the destination file system
so I guess newfs works as well as rm -rf.

////jerry