Installing Services at University of South Australia

robert bsd at bathnetworks.com
Tue May 2 09:13:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 09:42 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  1 May 2006 at 17:27:03 +0930, Harish Sukumar wrote:
> >
> > I have recently deployed FreeBSD on couple of machines at the University
> > and I am not quite familiar with *nix
>
> You should talk to Ben Close (copied).
>
> > So can you please provide me with some documents that I can use to
> > configure services like samba (As PDC), DNS,DHCP, LDAP and So
> > on.
>
> Start with the handbook
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html)
> or "The Complete FreeBSD"
> (http://wwww.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/).  If you have
> specific questions, look for them on the web.  If you don't find
> anything, ask here again.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.

The samba site has very good instructions on setting up a PDC using
LDAP, plus examples. Although they are for Suse or Red Hat,  the only
issue is that in most cases FBSD stores the files in a different
location and the Linux getent command is not available (I haven't found
a Fbsd equivalent). I have a PDC/BDC setup working following them.

There are plenty of guides on DNS - DHCP setups - google is your friend

Rob