flp wont load to floppies

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at vitsch.net
Fri Mar 31 19:26:27 UTC 2006

Hi A B,

On Friday 31 March 2006 19:02, A B wrote:
> 1)  either by copying to destop, then floppy,
>   or directly from FTP site,
>   the floppy disks does not have enough space for the
>   release 6.0 disks... boot, fixit, kern1.    suggestions?

The *.flp files are byte-for-byte images of the floppy, not files you should
place on a floppy. If you want to create FreeBSD install-floppies from DOS or
Windows you need the "fdimage.exe" utility. You can find it on a FreeBSD ftp
server in the "tools" directory.

For details on how to use "fdimage" see (section 1.3) :
http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/6-STABLE/installation/i386/index.html

>   2)  I'm using a IBM Thinkpad 600e 400mHz without much sucess.
>   Will FreeBSD install on this machine?

It should. I run FreeBSD on much older systems.

Good luck,
Daan