sshd BREAKIN ?

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Fri Mar 31 15:34:35 UTC 2006

What you are seeing is ssh doing it's job like its designed to do.
This is not anything you have to worry about.
If you don't want to see these messages in your auth.log then
change syslog.conf to only send critical messages to the log.

There are a few different ports in the FreeBSD ports collection
which address this problem by adding deny ip address rules to
your firewall. The denyhosts port is the most popular.
But this is just make busy work as it does not really provide
any greater security than ssh is providing it's self.

The facts of life is script kiddies and robots roll through ranges
of
ip address looking for open ssh ports and then mount a attack. There
is
nothing you can do about this except change the port
number ssh uses to some high port number.

Here is document to explain how to do that in detail.

http://elibrary.fultus.com/technical/index.jsp?topic=/com.fultus.doc
s.software/books/ssh_how-to/cover.html