formating a disk

Albert Shih shih at math.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 31 04:34:22 UTC 2006

 Le 30/03/2006  20:19:17-0500, Jerry McAllister a écrit

> I wonder what exactly you mean by 'format'.
> We don't tend to use that word to mean making slices (fdisk),
> partitions (disklabel/bsdlabel) or file systems (newfs).

Well the purpose is of course newfs.

> Usually format refers to something done at the very low leval of
> the drive and is normally only done at the manufacturer nowdays.
> I expect you mean one or more of the others, but cannot say.
>
> But, anyway, that is what you need to do - in that order.
>   fdisk,  disk/abel/bsdlabel,  newfs
>
> So, try and explain what you have done using these utilities if
> you have and if you haven't, then check them out and see if
> that helps.   If you really did a "format" under XP, then I think
> you can just start over with fdisk, but I haven't tried that on
> a hard disk much less a firewire device.

First I try to edit the slice with fdisk but when he need to write I've
got

Information from DOS bootblock is:
1: sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 156296322 (76316 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 1/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 512/ head 254/ sector 63
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
4: <UNUSED>
Should we write new partition table? [n] y
fdisk: Geom not found
[root at freebsd1 rc.d]#

What's that mean ?
How can I fix that ?