Installing PHP

Daniel Gerzo danger at rulez.sk
Thu Mar 30 16:20:40 UTC 2006

Hi Darryl,

Thursday, March 30, 2006, 6:04:05 PM, you has on mind:

> greetings,
> I have a freebsd 6.0-release box.  I need to install php to use with
> squirrelmail.   When I go to /usr/ports/www and look for php4, I
> see a lot of sub directories with names that aren't clear as to which
> one installs php4.

> So, anybody care to clarify this for me ?

you most probably want to read a chapter in our Handbook located at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook. That documentation is a great thing
:)

also, for your information - the php4 core port persists in lang/php4
directory.

> Also, I need to configure php with the following options:
> --enable-track-vars
> --enable-force-cgi-redirect
> --with-gettext
> --with-mysql

> which file should I put those in before make, make install ?

just type make config, see what options are configurable. if you need
to configure any further things, you will have to edit Makefile and
add these options to CONFIGURE_ARGS.

For a side note, if you need php4 extensions, go for
lang/php4-extensions port and type make config a then choose
extensions you really need, do not use CONFIGURE_ARGS for this.

--
Best Regards,
 Daniel Gerzo