Deleting Kernel conpile directory

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 15:03:39 UTC 2006

On 30 Mar 2006 09:40:03 -0500, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "Grant Peel" <gpeel at thenetnow.com> writes:
>
> > I am running a little low on disk space in /usr
> >
> > Can I delete the /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/mykernel directory?
>
> Sure.  And if you use the "buildkernel" method when you build kernels,
> you won't even need that directory again.  If you use the "old
> method," (calling config directly), though, you will need the space
> again.
>
> > If so, which method is best:
> >
> > a:
> > cd /usr/src/sys/i386/compile
> > rm -rf mykernel
> >
> > or
> >
> > b:
> > cd /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/mykernel
> > make clean
>
> Either one is fine.  If you never want to use the directory again, go
> ahead and use the first one.

What happens when you run 'make clean' from /usr/src/? I tried it once
and it deleted a lot of tmp and .gz files, I thought all of that stuff
was stored in /usr/obj/. always... to the OP you can also delete every
thing in /usr/obj/

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/