Strange HD behavior

Gautham Ganapathy gauthamglist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 20:51:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 19:06 -0300, Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> its dependancies) overnight. But I woke up the next day to find the login
> prompt and a few (2, i guess) messages of bad blocks somewhere in the /usr
> filesystem
>

> The HD is a Seagate one.

I used to have the same problem with a Seagate SATA drive. When I
installed Windows on the same drive, it would work fine. I even got the
drive replaced by Seagate, but it did not solve the problem. After three
drives, I found a page on the net which said that the sata driver in
fbsd had some problems with smartmon. I disabled it in the bios and
haven't had any problem since for the past 5 months.

Haven't tried this smartmontools though

Regards
Gautham