Small Laser Printers

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Wed Mar 29 17:43:29 UTC 2006

Robert Uzzi wrote:
> Any one using a current small laser printer that cost's in the 100 to 200
> dollar range. I've been looking at several to print Invoices on but I keep
> running in circles trying to figure out if they will work. If you got
> something in that range to work which one?

Hi.

I bought a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer a couple weeks ago and it's
been working extremely great. The setup was extremely simple with CUPS.
I just put in the IP address of the printer (it's a network printer) and
copied the PPD file from the CD. Then restarted CUPS and it's working
(and tons better than my Lexmark Z52 I might add :D).

PriceGrabber shows it right at $200 right now, but I got it locally for
a little less with a price match. I looked into the smaller Brother
models (such as the HL-2040) that are less money initially and was going
to get that one on sale at Staples that week, but in the long run with
toner and drums the 5250DN is a much better deal. Plus it has the
networking so setup is real simple.

I have to say that if you plan on using AbiWord with it, it might not
work for you. There is a bug report on their bug tracker about it and
when I choose the Brother printer to print to, it just prints a blank
page (and shows one in Print Preview as well). Printing to the Lexmark
Z52 works fine so it's not all printers, but just with some lasers I
think (Bug #7852).

HTH

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)