"Blob" and FreeBSD

Michael Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:26:38 UTC 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Adam Stroud wrote:

> What about drivers that are not part of the ports collection?
> Nvidia I can understand because the code is not in the kernel to
> the best of my knowledge.  If you want *the* nvidia driver, you
> install the port.  What about drivers for something like raid
> controllers that would exist solely in the kernel?

Actually all the "port" does is download and install the official
nvidia binary. I'm not sure about the division between user and
kernel space in relation to the
driver, but I can tell you for certain that without *the* nvidia
driver, the support for the card is very minimal (e.g. using the nv
driver).

If I understood your OP, then you were wondering if the FreeBSD
community and developers were against using blobs. My example was
intended to show
that FreeBSD is open to using binary drivers. Someone mentioned the
NDIS project as well. Both of these are examples of how you can use
FreeBSD
with closed source, binary, proprietary "blobs".  It wouldn't be
possible without developer support, and I'm sure anyone with hardware
that requires the use
of the "blobs" is glad that FreeBSD gives the the capability of doing
so.

Personally, I would prefer not to rely on the blobs. But as I said,
it's too late in regards to my current home PC. While I agree with
the many points of the
OpenBSD philosophy, I am glad FreeBSD seems to be more moderate in
it's approach to open source. It's nice to have alternatives.

Mike